Friday, September 26, 2008

IN HONOR OF MY DAD

Today is my dad's birthday. He passed away in 1998, but today I just want to post some of my thoughts about my dad. Each time I go to family reunions I hear stories about my dad that I had never heard before. I hear about how strong he was and how he loved to go FAST!!! One story I heard about him was how he would ride down the street on his horse, standing up on the horses back. WoW! Another story I heard was how he loved to drive fast so in any car he had he loved to go very fast. I believe it too! My dad's love was flying. He joined the airforce just before the war. In fact, he was stationed in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii when Japan attacked. Lucky thing he got up to go to church that day because he heard a bomb go off and ran back in the barracks and woke up the other men. He finally achieved his dream of becoming a pilot and flew a B24. His plane was shot down over Budapest, Hungary. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal for his flying that day! He was in a German prison camp, Stalag Luft 3, and was liberated by General Patton.

Dad has some amazing stories about his life, but I loved him for being a good, loving, father. He took good care of us and taught us to honest and kind. I think about him often and wonder what he is doing right now in heaven. Knowing that we continue to live after this earth life is comforting to me and knowing that Dad was a good, righteous, man, I look forward to living with him again when my mission on this earth is finished. I know he is happy to have mother back with him again.

Well, Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you!

4 comments:

Brianne said...

I love to hear stories of grandpa! He is amazing and we were all blessed to have him in our lives. He taught us so many great things. He loved without end, if it was rubbing aloe on our sunburns or cutting a rose from the rose bush in the back yard (and wrapping the stem in a paper towel of coarse). Love you grandpa!

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

That was a beautiful tribute to grandpa! He was such a sweet and caring person. I can't wait to get to know him better in the next life.

Patty's Place said...

Wasn't he the BEST! I really miss him sometime, I look forward to seeing him again. He always made me feel good and of course he could make me laugh!

Sanette said...

Mom, I love hearing stories about Grandpa and remembering him. Even though my memory isn't the best, I still have fond memories of grandpa (I remember his laugh and how his whole body shook when he laughed--he always seemed to have smile on his face, and a GREAT sense of humor)!!